Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Reasons to love Antigua - Volcanoes

Technically, volcanoes could also be a reason not to love Guatemala and I'll be the first to admit that I have a healthy fear respect for their sometimes violent and unpredictable temperaments. This photo was taken about a month ago at the hotel where I teach. Please note the smoldering cone behind me. This is the aptly named Volcán de Fuego and its puffs of smoke are often visible from Antigua on a clear day. Sometimes during class it grumbles and shakes the walls. I like to think that modern science can predict truly catastrophic eruptions, though it doesn't help that my boss constantly jokes that one day it's going to bury us all in a Pompeii-like mudslide! Regardless, the  the volcano's antics are generally more entertaining than worrisome.
There is something awe-inspiring and primordial about being surrounded by such a landscape. The country boasts over thirty volcanoes, four of which are currently active. The most recent incident to cause significant damage was the 2010 eruption of Pacaya, which left a layer of ash all over Guatemala City and wreaked havoc on the roads. 

No comments:

Post a Comment